Sunday, January 4, 2009

Anime L.A. Day Three


















































Well I was very flexible for the final day in terms of what I wanted to do. So flexible I arrived pretty late in the afternoon. I originally wanted to check out the crossplay panel hoping to get some sociologist's insight into the topic of transvesteism as it reminded me of my college days taking a gender studies course, and I wanted to see if the Shirayuki cosplayer from the night before was in a different outfit today. I didn't find that particular cosplayer (and she was wearing the same costume today), and it appeared that this was more of a costuming panel, so I left before it started. Instead of the crossplay panel, I decided to make a basket out of a milk carton. Since I figured out the cutting and folding pattern, I'm gonna work on a larger basket made of poster board sometime.

I spent most of the afternoon checking out the pool deck seeing if there were other interesting cosplayers and running into my other con buddies. After some searching, we finally found the martial arts demo, which I hoped would've focused on the Japanese martial arts of aikido and karate, but it focused on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which I consider a Japanese martial art thanks to the importation of jiu jitsu by the Gracie family), Muy Thai, and wrestling. It was still fun to watch professional MMA fighter Joe Camacho attacking Pedobear though (okay it was just a pose, but still fun to watch).

After that, I split apart from my con buddies to check out artists' alley the dealers' room to try to find some last-day deals. I broke my resolution to not spend too much money at cons, but I did get the Ninja Nonsense DVD box set with Shinobu headband and Onsakamaru squeeze toy and a Tsukasa Hiiragi (Lucky Star) plushy. I also saw a bunch of cosplayers playing red light/green light and dancing to the Lucky Star and Haruhi theme songs...

Well that's my recap of my experience at the first con of 2009. If I'm lucky, my next con could be the MCM (Movies, Comics, Media) Expo in London in May. That would be a lot cooler event for a California based otaku than FanimeCon...

If I took your pic and I didn't post it, please let me know...

No comments: