Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Why Do Otaku Feel That Anime Is Only For Them?

FMP! The Movie?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i701e5f503331aba0beae0430fe927543

Well it looks like there may be a live-action adaptation of Full Metal Panic, and Zac Efron's name has surfaced, but the comments I've seen at the above site and the Anime News Network site that also reported this story seem to have a running theme of "No! I will not accept any Hollywood version of an anime unless they are 100% faithful to the original story!"

Why?

Where was this rule that a movie must only appeal to the original fan base? If that was the case, no movie from an adapted screenplay would ever get made (look at Slumdog Millionaire, Harry Potter, Batman, The Lord of The Rings, and almost every musical that won an Oscar). While the producers of a film want to be creative in making the movie, it is also their job to be able to make a profit. Imagine if Transformers was only produced to appeal only to the otaku...okay I still haven't watched this movie, but I know I'll watch this when I can even though I never really liked the original animated series because it appears to be a refreshing adaptation. And isn't attracting a new audience (who can bring in more money) why studios and the creators of the original works want to do film/television adaptations of things that have a strong niche fanbase?

1 comment:

Jyuichi said...

My only issue with the possible FMP adaptation is the whole Efron thing... Not staying perfectly accurate isn't a deal breaker for a comedy IMHO.