Saturday, June 20, 2009

10 or So Days Before AX 2009...

For Anime Expo 2009, I commissioned by cousin to make a costume for me as she mentioned she could make a costume for much cheaper than what a typical commission would cost (only considering materials and not labor). Anyway, with a little over a week before AX, I checked on her progress. There's still some work to be done on my end (gloves, a fake turtleneck collar as I want to be able to use the turtleneck outside of cosplay)...

While I checked on the progess on the main element of the costume, we went to lunch at Royal/T in Culver City, a maid cafe/store/art space. Because it was also an art gallery, I refrained from taking many pictures even though I was told it was okay as long as it wasn't for commercial purposes (with my limited anime/manga/video game/J-pop/J-rock knowledge, I would have a hard time making enough to buy a cup of coffee, but I hope my knowledge increases quickly over time).

Anyway, I started with an iced Kyoto Sunset tea with peach syrup:

(notice the maid in the background?????)

For lunch we both had curry and rice. My cousin had chicken curry while I had beef curry:


Not too spicy, not too sweet, not too thick, not too thin, just right curry.

For dessert, we had cheescake souffle with strawberries in a zinfandel sauce, fluffy and sweet:

I usually don't eat the strawberries in a cheesecake, but the sauce really made them very enjoyable.

Well there's work left to be done on my costume, but at least I could help by finishing off the hat:


My vision for Meito is that he probably made the hat (okay, so according to the Animate legend, the Anime Tenchou kanji was written on the hat by his predecessor who was attacked by a rival anime store) gloves, and jacket because he wanted to be a superhero (see Anime Tenchou vol. 1 for details of his rise to glory). So while I can try to even out the yellow trim on the hat, I think I'll keep it...it lends itself to the low-budget superhero vision I have...wait till you see the gloves...

So anyway, if you've never been to Akihabara to visit a real maid cafe (I went to Cafe Mai:lish when I went to Japan), Royal/T is a great place to get a glimpse inside a working maid cafe with a SoCal personality...

No comments: