Monday, August 24, 2009

Nisei Week part 4 segment 1: Big Drums and Big Dance



Fun Fact: The oldest open business in Little Tokyo is Fugetsu-Do on First Street, a few doors down from Jungle Collectors Shop 2nd store.



Because I didn't realize that there would be continuous taiko all day, I had to skip checking out the cultural exhibits. Maybe next year I'll arrive early to see them all.

So pretty much before the closing ceremonies/ondo street dancing, I plopped myself in a chair to catch almost nonstop taiko.

The first group, which I arrived late for, was Togen Daiko from Oxnard:





Followed by Okinawan drum dancing by Ryukyokoku Matsuri Daiko which incorporated some vocals from a recorded track:



Next up was Senyru Taiko from U.C. Riverside:





Then L.A. Matsuri Taiko:





Then a group from Cal State Northridge...I'm not sure if they were trying to be funny when they were founded in 1995 by calling themselves Jishin (earthquake) Taiko...





From the East San Gabriel Valley comes Kishin Daiko:





Another L.A. group, Progressive Taiko (I wish there was a USC taiko group...I would've joined):





and Orange County is represented with U.C. Irvine's Jodaiko:





And finally the showstopper, the youth taiko group Kitsune Taiko based in Little Tokyo:





Surprisingly, the changeover between groups was quick, resulting in things ending about 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Fortunately, many of the members of Taiko Project were performing with their local groups during this gathering, so they could quickly gather together and play one more song to fill the time:





Coming up, the final segment of part 4, the Big Dance Part of the day...

No comments: