Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nisei Week Part 4 segment 2: Big Drums and Big Dance

Finally, I have come to the conclusion of my narrative of my Little Tokyo visits during Nisei Week 2009...After the day-long taiko gathering, I wandered into the segment of 1st Street where the closing ceremonies and ondo street dancing were to take place. Since it was about a half hour before festivities were to begin, those waiting were treated to a little pre-show:



Before the ondo dancing began, one more taiko group, Zendeko Taiko (my research shows they performed with Korn on the song "Throw Me Away").



The street dance was choreographed by Madame Sanjo Kangiku, artistic director of the Kanya Sanjo V Kabuki Dance Company (research shows she appeared in David Bowie's "The Man Who Fell To Earth" film). Community groups, and people on the sidewalk who knew the dance, formed a loop that went around both sides of the street where the dancers performed ondo dance down around (I'm now sure of a better way to describe this, but I hope the pics explain it).



In the interest of brevity (and I'm too tired to compress pics), I'm only showing one of the more interesting community group in the ondo street dancing:



Apparently, Thriller syncs up well with songs used for ondo dancing.

After the dance, the Nisei Week Queen and court, along with city and community leaders (no mayor, though) made some speeches at the announcers booth. Then previous Nisei Week queens came up to make an appearance.



Well with that, the 69th Annual Nisei Week came to a close...After a little Korean BBQ, I made the long drive back home...

I wished I took video of the dance and taiko so you the reader can see what it's all about (it's more than what you see in anime...), but I did take a lot more pics of the different yukata/kimono designs I saw at the dance. You can find these pics at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfbtrojan/sets/72157622173987254/


No comments: