Monday, November 9, 2009

Pacific Media Expo 2009 Part 1: BN (Before Nabeshin)...

(as always, I purposely shrink my pics...if you would like a full resolution copy, just email me or send a comment)

Well I didn't feel like taking Friday off from work to arrive early for PMX at the LAX Hilton as all I felt like doing is watch the Asian Food Challenge and do some karaoke...so this post will also include some pics I took on Day 2...keep reading...you'll see girls beat each other up with sticks...

First up on Friday was the Asian Food Challenge, which thanks to it starting late, I was able to make after checking into my hotel (which was a couple blocks away from the hotel where PMX was held)...Unlike last year which had almost a dozen food items and was more of a last man standing situation, it was turned into a speed contest where 10 contestants (many by chance happen to be associated with other cons) started by eating soft tofu...



Then the fastest four made it to the red speckled egg...



(The fourth person finished the tofu right about the time these guys finished the egg.) Then the final round was silkworm larvae for the final three.



(You can tell who couldn't finish the final round...). In all, this contest ended in about 5 minutes, but it took about 30 minutes to set up.

So while I was trying to meet up with my friend who was staying at the hotel (and arrived only about an hour before I arrived), I wandered into karaoke, where I saw the Tall Guys again...



and I'm pretty sure I saw the bunny at AX...a possible first sign of con fatigue...though that feeling is reduced by watching a Korean drama (Be Strong Geum Soon...a story about a college guy who gets a townie girl pregnant and decides to marry her...) while my friend watched a concert that I wasn't too interested in and was running late...)



But the next day, I knew I would see some interesting things I haven't seen before, like the western regional eskrima tournament by the World Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation (WEKAF). My friend and I caught a little bit of the womens' tournament:



We arrived at the last matches before lunch, so after the contest, we headed out for the Kogi truck that came just for PMX...neither of us tried their food, but when I mentioned to my friend that they are known for Korean tacos, she was all in. But first, since I was dressed as one of only a handful of adult characters in Lucky Star, I had to take this quick pic:





I got her food while she went off to an autograph signing (yeah, it's that popular). After I got the food, I tried to take another quick pic while holding the Korean short rib tacos and burrito...



Fortunately, the Nabeshin panel was moved to later in the day, so I had time to enjoy the goodness of Korean tacos and burrito. However, the Nabeshin autograph signing was not moved, so we had to wait in line for a little bit before the doors opened. At least I found some another K-On cosplay and made my first attempt at a Meito Anizawa (I'm more than Anime Tenchou!) pose using one of the DVDs I planned to have Nabeshin sign:





It's good that I had Nerima Daikon Brothers for Nabeshin to sign as manga creator Aoi Kodokoro who was accompanying him was cosplaying as Mako...



I had nothing planned after Nabeshin, so there was some free time between the signing and the rescheduled panel, so we watched a little karaoke and played a little Rock Band with guys who were really into villains...



And a girl who I mistook was from Fruits Basket but was from a series inspired by ramune soda...



And some more cosplay before getting to the Nabeshin panel...









(I can't believe someone could say Death Note ruined cosplay...)

I was wondering about whether the Nabeshin panel would be a big draw as many of the attendees seem to follow more of the recent stuff...10 minutes before the panel was to start, and there was still a short line that included these characters...



Up next...how to put on (and take off) a yukata and the start of Cosfest...

No comments: