Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pacific Media Expo 2009 Part 3: Let's Finish This



Well I wanna finish this con report before The Amazing Race (I have no idea why Kynt and Vyxsin were at the hotel on the last day of PMX..., but it was a good surprise)...

Anyway, I guess there should be some discussion of the masquerade, CosFest...since I usually have a short attention span, and I don't want to race to take pics (i.e. all the pics I took of this were bad...), I'll just post a link to the videos...interesting to note that the Best In Show award was given to the Mariks Evil Council of Doom 3 skit...I'm sure I wasn't the only one wondering why...). Anyway, I really enjoyed the halftime show, which didn't have to stall for time (unlike MikomiCon), especially since my friend Mikarin was performing...



The good news about this masquerade is that it started earlier, which meant it ended earlier, so my friend and I were able to catch some final night karaoke, where we found Nabeshin and Aoi Kidokoro making an appearance (see here for video). I also happened to find a Shugo Chara cosplay I was looking for all weekend...(okay not really looking for, but the only cosplay I saw at karaoke that night before moving on to watching a few minutes of 20th Century Boys before walking back to my hotel to sleep...)



One thing I did notice staying at a hotel away from PMX is that there must still be some rift between the PMX and Anime Expo people to be staying at separate hotels (unlike between PMX and Anime L.A. where their jack-of-all-trades leader was staying at the same hotel where PMX was held)...



On the last day, my friend and I were met with a crowd waiting for the Angelic Pretty fashion show...



Some Dragonball Z in the screening room, walking in on fan panels (which I now realize I'm not much of a fan of unless it's hosted by a real expert...I really don't care why you think certain anime series are terrible or any of the drama you experienced in cons past...unless it's a funny story, but I'd rather read about it than spend an hour of my day listening to it without visuals...), and a short Japanese lesson, which I thought was very good, if the audience was more aware of the teacher's methods (she mentioned she normally teaches 5-year-olds, which I think is the best way to teach any language...learn any new language the same way you learned your first language as a child...by pointing and saying rather than translating...too bad there were several in the audience who didn't get that when she pointed to herself saying "watashi wa" and pointing to each student saying "anata wa", and each student then pointing to him/herself saying "anata wa...")

Well as expected, it was a short final day, except for seeing Amazing Race celebrities on the way out of the hotel and going home.

So that's it...probably my last con for 2009...

No comments: