Sunday, April 11, 2010

The 2010 Cherry Blossom Festival Southern California Part 3: Main Stage-Some Hula and Kimonos



In my wandering around Little Tokyo on day 1 of the Cherry Blossom Festival, I came across this statue of Chiune "Sempo" Sugihara, a Japanese consul in Lithuania who issued visas to thousands of Jewish refugees against the order of the Japanese government during WWII.

Anyway, back to the story...after the cosplay contest on the J-pop stage, I wanted to catch the kimono fashion show. While I waited, I saw part of the second half of a hula show taking place...I guess these represent Hawaiian hula (since the later were introduced as examples of Tahitian hula):





And then some examples of Tahitian hula:



After the hula, the band stuck around to entertain while the kimono fashion show was being set up:



Now on to the fashion show. The fashion show's music was provided by Panache Orchestra performing original works inspired by both Japanese and Western music:



Now the emcee for this event was an attorney who was showing off a kimono with the hakama. As the fashion show featured designs from the Taisho era (1912-1926), she was wearing boots as that era was a time when Western fashion was being more embraced.



Now the Taisho era designs were characterized by more geometric patterns and the embracing of Western manufacturing methods. Since my cousin left for the day by the time of the fashion show, so I didn't take good notes, and I'm relying on my memory, so please correct me if you have a better knowledge of the intricacies of kimonos. Pretty much I'll let the pics tell the story. In general these are the types of kimono that would be worn by the upper class.

She had a raincoat over her kimono:



Some more kimonos



Notice the detail they put on the inside of a kimono:



An example of a girl's kimono:



Some more examples:



Then a kimono trio:



An example of a wedding kimono. The bride would also carry a knife as a reminder of death before divorce. I know there is also a meaning for the headdress, but it escapes me.



Now the last model was the Los Angeles City Councilwoman who represents the district that includes Little Tokyo and helped organize the event, Jan Perry.



Now a final walk by the models:



And a group photo:



Now I did take more photos that show more details about each kimono. They can be found on my Flickr.

Up next, finishing up day 1 at the martial arts stage and a return to the J-pop stage for some music.

No comments: