Sunday, April 11, 2010

The 2010 Cherry Blossom Festival Southern California Part 4: Closing Out Day 1 at the Martial Arts and J-Pop Stages

Pretty much I finished day 1 with some martial arts demonstrations. As someone who studies a little aikido (emphasis on little as I have a lot of things going on in my life), I like seeing how other disciplines work.

I walked in on some Atemi Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, where I noticed some of the things I have learned, like getting control of the hand that gets you and doing a reverse hand throw:



Or pulling one's fingers back...



Like NASCAR, martial arts is best enjoyed when you're a participant, so I won't post a lot of martial arts pics unless I think it can show a little detail about technique (or they look fun like some of the Judo pics I'll show later in this post...).

Now an example of Filipino stick fighting from Pakamut International...I'm not familiar with Filipino martial arts, but it seems to be a form of eskrima as they demonstrated both two stick and knife work...



Then I finished my martial arts feast for day 1 with some competitive judo from Goltz Judo Club:



Now in a competitive judo setting, one competitor would wear a white gi while the other wears blue in a similar way how boxers would wear different colored shorts to differentiate them. And sometimes, it's just not a fair fight to be bigger than the other guy...

After my martial arts fill, I went back to the J-pop stage where I caught the last bit of Makenai...



Followed by talented headliner R&B singer Masumi from Japan...



Since I couldn't find the booth, I'll have to find out where I can get her CD...

The last group for my day was the Hollywood based group Ajuku Girls...



I hope to see them again as the wind was picked up by their microphones which hindered their performance a little bit.

By the end of their performance, it was already close to the 6:30 pm closing time, and I was really hungry and tired, so I called it a day and went home and got dinner...

Up next, waking up early in the morning to pick up another non-anime friend to see guys get beat up and something super sweet before taking him back in time to catch a hockey game...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AJUKU GIRRRLLLLS! LUV THEM!