Saturday, May 8, 2010

The SoCal Cosplay Gathering 2010 Part 1: Actual Organized Activities...

I think for this event report I'll start in reverse (activities first followed by individual cosplay pics), but I guess order doesn't really matter that much as I spent most of today just chatting with friends instead of taking pics. However, this was intentional as I didn't wanna burn out quickly with cosplay like I did last year...plus I really am trying to get a feel for what to expect for Anime Expo, my main event.

Anyway, a quick rundown of my day before I get to the pics...a real busy day as I spent the morning doing some volunteer work before heading back home and changing into my Merito Anizawa cosplay (during the day, it was pointed out that I used the wrong hirigana in the name tag) and driving up to Craig Regional Park in Fullerton for the gathering.

Unlike last year, the BBQ area was at pretty much surrounded by hills, so there wasn't really any room for football, but there was Rock Band, which I avoided this time around...Still, I really like this new venue.





Anyway, there were really only two scheduled events today, Iron Cosplay and a raffle for prizes such as DVDs, plushies, a box of manga, etc... (the pics from the raffle are awesome...okay kidding as I didn't take pics during the raffle as I was hoping to win something...)

Iron Cosplay was an event devised by the organizers of the gathering. Two teams, each containing a member that the others will dress in cosplay, are given a pile of fabric and a cardboard box. In each of 3 three-minute rounds, each team has to make a cosplay using the items that meet a theme. Audience applause determines the winner of each round. Unfortunately, I had a bad view even when standing on a table, so I only got pics of Team A.

Round 1: Mecha



Round 2: Ninja



Round 3: Magical Girl



In the end, Team A won 2 out of three rounds. I think they should have done it in an open field instead of in-the-round.

After the raffle (where I didn't win anything), there were some cosplay awards and a group photo. I didn't want to be in the picture because I thought I would be lost in the crowd in the pic. Anyway, getting a bunch of strangers to listen to the suggestions of seasoned photographers isn't easy...





Unfortunately, the crowd didn't listen to the photographers' suggestion to move back...



Which leads to a very crowded photographers' area...



But I think if I can take a decent picture with my point-and-shoot, I'm sure the others got a good shot...



If you look closely, you will find Russell from Disney/Pixar's Up...you will notice his balloons are missing...



Coming up, meeting the author of Cosplay In America and previewing his book...

No comments: