Sunday, May 9, 2010

The SoCal Cosplay Gathering 2010 Part 2: Amerika No Kosupure



I really got excited as the SoCal Cosplay Gathering was getting closer as they were going to raffle off two copies of the new photobook Cosplay in America by Ejen Chuang. Unfortunately, I didn't win, but the author brought copies so he can get cosplayer reaction videos for his site. Well I definitely plan on buying a copy as this is probably only the second book I've seen containing American cosplay. The first book I found that featured Americans cosplaying is the COSMODE USA Glamour Issue I found last year at Jungle in Little Tokyo during Nisei Week...



After having another look at the COSMODE book, I count only 8 pages of U.S. cosplay pictures, 8 pages of U.S. cosplayer and cameko profiles, 17 pages of ads, 44 pages of Japanese cosplay gallery pics, 2 pages of Japanese cosplayer profiles, 54 pages of Japanese event cosplay pics (favorite is the girl cosplaying as Izumi from He Is My Master, and she definitely is a lot taller and older than the character she's cosplaying...), 2 pages of convention etiquette (not sure if referring to Japanese or Western events), and 44 pages of a cosplay manual discussing how to make traditional Japanese clothes, wig styling tips, and other cosplay advice. It is a great primer on Japanese cosplay, but it is definitely more of a survey of Japanese cosplay.

I really am impressed with Cosplay in America as it gives an overall view of cosplay on this side of the Pacific, showing people of all shapes, sizes, and life stages (I really like the Dragonball cosplay done by a dad and his baby.).

Anyway, you can see a preview of the book at the Cosplay in America site before it hits cons and stores.

And I guess it's appropriate the the author gets his book promoted by rival anime store mascots...



Up next...details, details, details...

1 comment:

cosplay costumes said...

like your guys cosplay much !!