Sunday, May 9, 2010

The SoCal Cosplay Gathering 2010 Part 3: ...I Don't Want Others to Remember the Details, Just the Image...

The above quote is by American actress Gloria Grahame, probably best known for her role as Violet, the promiscuous girl saved by George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life.

Anyway, I think this event was the first time I really took a notice to the really small details of a costume, especially when two people pointed out I used the wrong hiragana on my Meito Anizawa costume (Merito instead of Meito...). Three costumes really stood out for this. The first one was Russell from Up...



While I have seen Russell costumes where the house was also included, I started to really notice the merit badges, where this cosplayer mentioned he matched the badges and their order to those seen in the film.



Another cosplay that impressed me was the Gordon Freeman costume based on the Half-Life game series I've seen evolve since last year's gathering...



While one would argue that the larger prop hasn't changed much, I would point out that the outfit now looks more like something you would see if a live-action version of the movie was made, complete with official looking identification...



When I first saw this cosplay, I thought it was just a guy in a suit until he did a pose for me...



Upon a closer look, he also added a press badge...



While someone may not remember the exact details of a costume such as the Gordon Freeman's badge number or the type of soda the bottle cap merit badge came from, the little things do contribute to the larger picture of the cosplay...I guess that's the reason why I like putting flair on my apron for my Meito cosplay...

The final part of this story...too busy chatting to take cosplay pics...

No comments: