Saturday, July 10, 2010

Anime Expo 2010: Dining with Yui



The advertising this year seems a lot stronger this year, even radio ads on KROQ...

As a lifelong Trojan, I've been an advocate for cheap eating near USC for the years that Anime Expo has been at the Los Angeles Convention Center. With the exception of a little splurging, I really didn't spend too much on food compared to last year (granted, I was showing a friend around Little Tokyo last year...)

So here are some places where I had a meal with Yui...





You'll find some chains near the University Park campus of the University of Southern California, like Yoshinoya...



I feel like I betrayed my roots by not eating at Chano's on day 0, but I did enjoy a burrito there at the end of day 1...Another plus about college dining is that many places are open 24 hours...

My first meal during AX was one of the few times I splurged on food with a steak at the ESPN Zone, where I was mistaken for the real Nabeshin as I was eating on the patio...a girl asked for my autograph during my lunch, and a couple of people wanted my picture...



On day 2, I stopped by Chinatown Express near campus. It was the place where I discovered sriracha sauce. Too bad my taste buds weren't ready to have some during that meal...



Though I did have some as part of my only meal ordered from a convention center vendor (dinner of day 2...The Chinatown Express lunch was the better deal than the convention center meal they were both about the same price)



The morning of day 3 was also about cheap eats with breakfast at the historic Original Pantry...



Fans always recommend the cole slaw during lunch and dinner at The Original Pantry, but I'm all about the potatoes for breakfast...

After a busy day 3 that included the Danny Choo meetup at the ESPN Zone, I finally caved in and had another meal at the ESPN Zone...



And on the morning of day 4, I enjoyed another little bit of nostalgia from my college days...did I mention that many places near campus are open 24 hours?



It is nice to see many of the cheap eats I remember are still there, though I miss some of the ones that went away. It is nice to see a whole lot of new places that have opened up in the past few years, but as long as Chano's and The Original Pantry remain, all will be well...

Up next, Nabeshin and Lupin...know the difference...

1 comment:

BryAnime said...

Oi, you certainly ate alot of nice stuff. I lived on protien bars I brought from home, hehe

Then again, they work great when running from panel to panel