Monday, August 16, 2010

Nisei Week 2010 Part 1: Stage Hopping for the First Weekend



If the style looks familiar, it is because the artwork is by TokiDoki...

Well I wanted to put up a 10 commandments of cosplayer/cameko as a closeout to my Anime Expo 2010 articles, but that can wait...

This is the 70th year of Nisei Week in Little Tokyo in downtown Los Angeles. Since I had fun spending two weekends at last year's festivities, I came again this past weekend, but with the promise of making sure I don't buy souvenir t-shirts that I don't wear later on...

I'm not sure how to organize these pics I took over the first two days as I hopped from the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center to Japanese Village Plaza to the Japanese American National Museum all the time, so maybe I should organize by where I was...

So let's first take a look at what was going on around the Japanese American National Museum (whose original building next door, I was told, used to be a bus departure point for Japanese Americans who were sent to internment camps during WWII)...

This was the second annual Tanabata Festival. Like last year, tons of paper crafts were present...



Including one inspired by Pokemon...



On stage were some ondo dancers who taught the audience some moves...





There was also a magic show...



Over on the stage at the Japanese Village Plaza (where Anime Jungle is located)...there was Gary Jung, the Japanese Elvis...



There was also meditative drumming on Saturday, which attracted some cosplayers (who made an appearance in the parade on Sunday...)



Which seemed to attract more of them...



But when the drummer went into a 3-beat time from common time, they appeared lost...



And then the drummer asked for a volunteer...



At the stage near the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center, I saw some girls from I guess another maid cafe cosplay group, Mochi Cafe...



Apparently, AniMaid Cafe (Funky Fresh Cosplay) was doing something at the Tanabata Festival earlier...

I stepped inside the JACCC to see if there was anything new...well I did see some of the items that are sold by Samurai Store International, a seller of handcrafted Japanese -made samurai armor manufacturer with an office in Los Angeles that sells to collectors, decorators, and anyone with a couple thousand to sell...the armor they had on display ranged from $1,800 to $12,000...


Iaito sword: $638 (on display with rows of iyozane, scales that make up the armor, on the left and a kabuto, helmet, that was under construction)...


1500s style armor designed to defend against firearms: $1,820.


Edo period style (1600s) armor: $10,750


Warring States period (1467-1573) style armor: $11,680


Not sure what style, but this one costs only $2,240...

On the JACCC stage, there was also a demonstration by South Bay Shorinji Kempo, which I saw last year, but this year, I got a glimpse into how they teach a technique...



Now I did most of my dining in Japanese Village Plaza, with some blueberry jam from Yamazaki Bakery...



Conveyor belt sushi from Frying Fish...



Some mochilato (I think it was raspberry cream and peaches and cream) from Mikawaya...



I did go off to Koreatown for a late lunch at Soo Won Galbi...

(I did have meat at this Korean BBQ place.)



Now while I didn't buy a t-shirt, I did get something while I was in Little Tokyo...



And I felt like splurging and didn't get just one (because Anime Jungle had only one box left, and I needed to buy a set in order to get Miku. However, I think Meiko is my favorite one now...)...



Up next, some pics from the Grand Parade with (last year's) nebuta...

No comments: