Sunday, September 5, 2010

The 2010 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend: Running in Costume...



Considering that I grew up in Las Vegas, and I enjoy anime, you would think I would be spending Labor Day weekend at Anime Vegas, but I don't as I found something that I find really rewarding because it combines two of my original loves, volunteering and Disney...The Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend, which was celebrating the 5th anniversary this past weekend...

During the weekend, there is a 5K Family Fun Run that goes through both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure on Saturday (which I ran for the second time this year) followed by the half marathon (13.1 miles) held on Sunday which winds through both parks before heading out to the city of Anaheim where they pass by Honda Center (formerly called Arrowhead Pond where the Anaheim Ducks NHL hockey team plays home games) and Angel Stadium of Anaheim (where, despite the terrible name, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim MLB baseball team plays home games) before returning to Downtown Disney at the ESPN Zone where the finish line and spectators are waiting...

Runners who participated in every half marathon since the inaugural race in 2006 were called legacy runners...I guess I would be a legacy volunteer as I've volunteered in some way every year, at least always with the half marathon portion.

But anyway, I felt like posting about this year's weekend because I mentioned in a previous post that you usually see a lot of costumes during the half marathon. This time, I've been able to take a couple pics...though not a lot because I'm a runner/volunteer first before I'm a cameko...

I was surprised to see some actual cosplay during the 5k that was beyond just the typical Peter Pan outfit or fairy wings or Minnie Mouse running skirt...Since I didn't want to risk dropping my nice camera, I decided to bring my old 3MP Sony Cybershot DSC-P72...At least it had a flash so I could take these pre-dawn pics...



If you looked closely at the ninja's outfit, you'll notice a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse print...Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is part of Playhouse Disney, shows geared towards toddlers...

During the 5k, there were photo spots which would eat up your time if you're a serious runner, but I want to run in 5k events in interesting locations...

Here's a typical costume (I so wished I took the pic of the girl who did Buzz Lightyear with light-up wings...)...



Of course, my goal was to improve my time, so I don't wear costumes when running...



My time was slower than last time I ran in this 5k, but that's because I wasn't training as much as I did last time due to work and general laziness...

Now I really enjoy volunteering during the main event that is held the next day, the actual half marathon...Now that I've been a volunteer team leader for a while, I've learned to let the younger volunteers I supervise do the fun job of interacting with the runners while I stand back and work on the cleanup tasks that make breaking down the station after the race faster...But that means I've also been able to take some, but not a lot, of pics (I really love doing the work that helps make the event run smoothly, especially after all the praise both I and the other team leader received last year for being very efficient at cleaning up our station)...

Most costumes you see in a race are really overlaid on running outfits, like a green skirt for a Tinkerbell or a pair of Mickey Mouse ears or a pirate hat for Jack Sparrow, but some go all out, like this Stitch...



Of course, for safety reasons, the head didn't cover his face...

I guess Disney pajamas might be the next trend in runDisney (the new name for Disney running endurance events that include the Disneyland Half Marathon and Walt Disney World Marathon) costumes...


(a Mickey Mouse print and a Disney Princess print)

Now this does not seem like a costume...



Until you see some famous characters wearing the same tracksuits (I took this when I ran in my first 5k two years ago...the girls happened to be standing in line behind me so I asked them to join me as I never saw anyone run in happi coats at a Disney race before that time...)



I may try a Mickey Mouse ninja costume for next year...who knows...seeing some amazing runners always inspires me to improve myself and be creative...

No comments: