Sunday, September 26, 2010

Is This You?????

Saw this on Cosplay in America's Flickr...

Which con-goer are you ?

Yeah, hardcore cosplayer, crossplayer (I've had this theory that straight guys crossplay in order to sneak into the girls restroom, but crossplaying may be linked to the kabuki tradition of having men playing the female roles...), and the anime critic (the guy who thinks all anime was crap after -insert title here-) are missing from this list...

As for the chaperone description in the chart...I have met a mother who was manning her daughter's artist alley table at AX last year, and it seems like her concern was how much her daughter was spending on this interest, which is probably why her daughter had a table in artist alley to earn some cash. On the flip side, I met the mother of a Lucky Star cosplayer who seemed to want to relive her teenage years...Curse anime for making us think life ends at 27 (two examples are Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch) or even 20 (Strike Witches)...I dunno, but I do feel comforted to see parents and other older adults at these events...I'm sure the dealers are comforted too...

2 comments:

Jenny Longe said...

Do you really think we crossplay jsut to get in to the girls bathroom? Think more of "I like girl, wearing there cloths makes me feel closer to them."

But there are some rules we hold each other to and using the ladies room is a no go.

Oh and theres nothing like a lesbian kiss, when your playing one of the lesbians.

amateur_cameko said...

It's been a year since I posted that theory, so ideas change (I even went to a crossplay/genderbend gathering during Anime Expo 2011)...I believe the motivation for crossplay is the same as that for cosplay...to express an affinity for a character.

As for the bathroom thing, I think it stems from the general question as to where a crossdresser would go. For one thing, one semester of gender studies will not give you the answer...

It will be an interesting day when cosplay events offer the Hideyoshi restroom...