Friday, January 7, 2011

My Holiday Vacation 2010, Part 2: NYE in the OC



I was concerned about traffic returning home from Vegas during New Year's, so I decided to cut my time in Vegas short and wanted to check out the new OC Fair New Year's Eve Block Party...

I'm not sure why, but there was wandering entertainment...



There were stages divided by decades from the 1960's to the 1990's with appropriate tribute bands...all my pics from those performances came out blurry, but here is a rundown of what I saw:

1960s Stage:
Surfin' Safari (The Beach Boys)
Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles)

1970s Stage:
"Led Zeppelin Live" starring Heartbreaker
Journey Unauthorized (Journey)...they led the countdown to midnight

1980s Stage:
wasn't a fan of Oingo Boingo, Depeche Mode, nor Morrisey so I skipped this

1990s Stage:
Stepping Feet (Dave Matthews Band)
The Joshua Tree (U2)...last band I saw that night, or first band I saw in 2011 depending on how you look at it

There was also a Millennium Club with DJs and Karaoke...skipped the former, but enjoyed watching middle aged people do karaoke...really fun seeing a father embarrass his teenage son by singing Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen. There was also a demolition derby sponsored by a taxi company, but that cost extra, so I didn't attend...

In addition to tribute bands, there was a comedy hypnotist that I saw a little bit of while eating dinner, which came from one of my favorite places...




Food trucks galore! But I was interested in this event because of one particular truck...



Yes, the Ragin Cajun truck that appeared on Food Network's Great Food Truck Race...I got a gumbolaya (gumbo on top of jambalaya) that I shared, but the shrimp po-boy was for me...



For dessert, I discovered the bacon MANia truck, which had a treat I've been wanting to try for a long time, bacon candy!



While wandering around, I got more bacon goodness in the form of a free sample of a bacon spring roll from the Yummy One truck...



I like spring rolls, but I think you need a softer protein than bacon...

While Times Square has a giant ball of crystals, the Orange County Fairgrounds has a Super Shot ride for midnight...



Some people won a contest to be on the ride when it drops at midnight....oddly enough, my 12th pic for this post is one of what happened at midnight...



So that was my first New Year's at the fairgrounds...I hope it gets bigger.

Up next, New Year's Day in Little Tokyo...

No comments: