Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Anime Expo 2011 in 2D - Day 1 Highlights



Finally, I can look at the pics I took with my dedicated 2D camera...I think the above picture captures two of my favorite things...cosplay and food trucks...I'm happy I was able to take this pic before the fans swarmed this Kogi truck (I myself had to get my Lomo Arigato fix, and later that weekend I tried curry from India Jones that was awesome).

Since it has been a while since I looked at these pics, I'm having to jog my memory....

Let's see...Stopped in Little Tokyo to get pound cake for breakfast before heading to the LACC to pick up my Miku no polis ticket...Because of the line, I had to miss the opening ceremonies.

I recall lunch at the food trucks gathered in front of the convention center. During my lunch, I saw a tour bus of Japanese tourists arrive...Apparently they were part of a tour group actually coming for AX. Only two of them were dressed up (in lolita outfits...didn't take a pic because I was busy enjoying my tallarin saltado from the Lomo Arigato truck...oh how I miss you since you left Orange County!)

I did check out the Sailor Moon gathering (look at previous post for 3D pics)...



Immediately after was the Tales Of... and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt gatherings (see previous post for 3D pics)...good thing these three gatherings were within a 30 second walk of each other...





Afterwards, I caught the keynote for the first AX Anime and Manga Studies Symposium from Comparative Media Studies professor Ian Condry from MIT who previously wrote a book on the Japanese rap scene and is currently researching the anime fan scene...(I always felt that a nation is comprised of different societies, each one worth researching, and fandom is a society in itself...).

Afterwards, since I was in my Meito Anizawa cosplay, I was heading for the Haruhi/Lucky Star gathering...Unfortunately, it was scheduled at the same time as the premiere of the English version of the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, so few people showed up, but still fun was had by all...



Okay, I know there was a meet and greet at L.A. Live that didn't happen as scheduled, so I watched Project Blue Earth SOS before heading to the AX Forum Meet and Greet...definitely a fun time to meet other forum members I only read posts from...

I also quickly learned on day 1 that I should've charged my camera batteries for my 3D rig the night before, so I didn't take many pics...

I can't remember much of what happened after the forum meet & greet...I'm sure I had dinner...

Anyway, I did take a couple more pics outside of cosplay gatherings on day 1...I think I was tired after waiting in lines on Day 0 and early on Day 1...




No comments: