Saturday, July 30, 2011

Anime Expo 2011 in 2D - Day 2 Highlights



If you showed your ticket at the Toyota booth outside Nokia Theater after the Miku no Polis (Vocaloid) concert, you got a free souvenir stadium seat cushion...

Anyway, my focus for day 2 of Anime Expo 2011 was the concert, so I really kept to a few activities (really odd for a Saturday, but not so much for a second day of AX...)

First step was to finally check out the Exhibit Hall to get some Vocaloid merchandise that will be described in my merch post to be written later...of course being a Saturday, there was a crowd waiting to get in when it opened...



Now my first choice of the day after getting a few things before the concert (a program, an uchiwa fan, a cell phone charm that can't be attached to my phone...too bad the Hello Kitty x Miku Hatsune plush was not for sale...) was which screening to catch...the premiere of the anime version of the live-action series Supernatural (seen on the CW...I was first introduced to the series when I was in Hawaii last year...still prefer Warehouse 13, though) or My Bride Is a Mermaid...I chose the latter and was happy with my decision.

After the screening, I went into another session of the AX Anime and Manga Studies Symposium...this time, the presentation was about AMVs and how AMV editors and professional film editors think...it got too technical for me so I checked out the twitter feeds when I saw a couple posts about South Hall being under lockdown...during the symposium presentation, there was an announcement over the PA system asking for someone to claim a box...turns out they were connected...good thing to know that unattended packages are taken seriously...

The second decision of the day was which gathering to catch, the Air Gear gathering that was a bit away from the Vocaloid gathering scheduled a half hour later, or the K-On gathering that was just steps away from where the Vocaloid cosplayers would be...Now I had a fun time at last year's gathering that included souvenirs and cake (I finally upgraded to Flickr Pro, so if you had problems seeing the pics from last year's gathering, you should be able to see them now...I'll be migrating/copying pics to other locations in the coming months so I don't have to worry about not being able to show pics)

Anyway, the possibility of cake outweighed my desire to see Simca or Ringo (I still dream of seeing Air Gear cosplayers skating around the Santa Monica Pier for a magazine photoshoot...)...



Of course, being the day of Miku Hatsune's North American debut, the Vocaloid cosplayers were out in full force...



After the Vocaloid gathering, I hung around for a Bunny Girl gathering that didn't materialize...Now by then, it was a few hours before the concert, so I wandered around for a bit and then had a late fancy seafood lunch at Rock 'n Fish at L.A. Live before I headed back to my car to change shirts since I was sweating through the shirt from the Saori Bajina (Oreimo) inspired cosplay/otaku outfit (got rid of the wig and wore regular sunglasses, but kept the bandana) and drop off my cameras since the theater doesn't allow photography inside...I was able to take a few pics before and after the concert with my cell phone though, like this Final Fantasy inspired cosplay as we were getting inside the theater...



And a pic with a cute Miku cosplayer who was probably hired by Toyota...



...Had a late dinner at YardHouse with new friends I made, and then called it a night since parking closes at midnight...

Here are the other pics I took that day...Enjoy!

No comments: