Thursday, July 7, 2011

Okay...A 2D Break...Anime Expo 2011 Day 0 (Warning: Some Offensive Language)



As always, I gotta have breakfast at The Original Pantry whenever I'm in L.A...

Day 0 is usually uneventful, but I had plans that evening, so I really had to get my badge early...too bad I would be in for a long wait because I couldn't check into my hotel early...



At least some people had fun with the tape the people had to line up on while waiting for badges...



Once the doors were opened at 3pm, it actually was an hour wait to get my badge...I met up with a friend who wanted to interview me for her Japanese language site and people I chatted with on the Anime Expo forums before quickly getting to the hotel to get ready for my evening event...and there were still a lot of people waiting as I left...



The special event I signed up for was a fundraiser for the Japan tsunami relief efforts, We Heart Japan's We Heart Singing for Japan karaoke event in Little Tokyo featuring K-On!'s Cristina Vee (Mio) and Stephanie Sheh (Yui)...



There was a Japanese language TV crew also on hand for the event who were interested in my plushies...then Cristina and Stephanie learned of them...



Among the songs they sang were Fuwa Fuwa Time and Don't Say Lazy...and some Lady Gaga and Britney Spears...we also shared snacks...what was funny was that the karaoke machine mysteriously shut down after any song that seemed to have suggestive content like "Rub You The Right Way" by Johnny Gill sung by Steve Yun of Robotech fame (was expecting an epic rap battle between him and Stephanie Sheh since she works on Gundam) and my song choice "What's My Age Again" by Blink-182 ("The state looks down on sodomy...") that I sang with two guys I met at the booth (the one trying out for AX Idol was Mark Hoppus, the guy from San Diego was the drummer before Travis Barker, and I was Tom DeLonge...okay in my mind only...)...And apparently there's a karaoke rule that the last song must be from Journey...so all of us did a marathon singing of "Don't Stop Believin'"...



Then some more picture taking after the event...







Then some Denny's with my new friends before calling it a night...So strange that I was going to be shown in Japanese language media...I hope someone DVR'd the news story on the karaoke event...

No comments: