Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Anime Expo 2011 in 2D - Day 3 Highlights and Day 4 Quick Summary

(Post pic of damaged camera here...)

Well this was the last day that I had a working LCD on my Canon PowerShot A590, so there wasn't a lot of pics taken, though it was a long day...

After parking at the convention center, I realized I forgot my cell phone, so I had to drive back to the hotel, grab my phone, and come back to pay for parking again since there was no in/out privileges (common for paid parking places in downtown L.A.)...

Since I missed the AX 20th Anniversary panel because of the cell phone issue (I seem to either forget or lose my phone once at every con I attend...), I wandered into a screening of Kanon (the Kyoto Animation version...) to kill some time...

Afterwards, I thought I would be able to find the infamous Site #3 for the too-random-to-be-listed crossplay/genderbend gathering quickly, so I veered a little bit into the Ouran High School Host Club gathering...



(where's the giant gear?)

After some hard searching finding the crossplay/genderbend gathering, I was able to find some crossplayers...Since it was a small turnout, there were few pics taken (and mine were in 3D), though I did capture one of the first pics taken after I realize that my A590's LCD broke...



(It's a good sign that even with a broken LCD, the camera can still take pics, but I don't know what the settings are...I guess it's still useful as an outdoor/daytime camera...)...

I met up with my new friend for lunch at the food trucks...I heard a lot of good things about India Jones, so I had to try the curry...



(yummy!)

I was so lucky that I didn't get my nice new Ika Musume (Musuko?) cosplay that I actually did most of the work on (I asked my cousin to make the hat since I doubted my sewing skills, though the tentacle wig did involve some sewing...) didn't get stained...



(So should've used the family size shrimp chips as my prop...)

I assumed at the time my damaged A590 could still be good for daylight pics, so I continued to take pics with at at the Madoka gathering...



Oddly enough, I only saw only one girl do Ika Musume, and she was at the top of an escalator while I was at the bottom, so I couldn't get to her in time...but the hat seems popular...



Obviously time was spent in the exhibit hall, especially after watching a screening of Wagnaria after the Madoka gathering...

I originally planned to go to the Umineko gathering, but I was sidetracked and ended up in line early for the K-On! concert...

Afterwards, I remember watching a little bit of Ga-Rei Zero and taking more pics, now with one of the cameras from the 3D rig, before meeting up with another friend to catch The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya...

Here are the rest of the pics from day 3...




I didn't realize I was tired until I decided to leave early on day 4 and falling asleep once I got home, waking up after the Independence Day fireworks on television and outside have already finished...but I didn't fall asleep until after I bought a few more things and taking pics of my haul...

Because of the fatigue, I didn't have much of a story for day 4, though I really wanted to catch the closing ceremonies...Day 4 was pretty much breakfast at Farm of Beverly Hills at L.A. Live, watching Lyrical Nanoha, texting my new friends to have a safe trip since they planned to leave early, watching Baka and Test, last minute deals and freebies in exhibit hall, watching Sekirei, more last minute shopping, and then just going home...

Overall, it was the best AX so far...I made new friends, discovered new anime, tried new food trucks...though I think I'll pick a closer hotel even if it means paying more for parking next year...

Now to get ready to really field test my new camera, enhancements to my 3D rig (I know they're gonna drop the price on the 3DS, but I built this rig out of my own two hands!), more events before school starts, and maybe take time to improve my Ika Musume cosplay (like using a larger t-shirt since the collar was tight...).

No comments: