Monday, August 15, 2011

Tanabata Festival/Nisei Week 2011 - A Story of 3.5 Hours Part 2 - Some 2D...

Note: Pics seem to be a little cropped by Blogger. Click on them to see the full image.




This is the third year I've made the drive up to Little Tokyo for Nisei Week, and I've always found my favorite thing is the Tanabata Festival as this is the only time of year it is held...taiko performances, cosplay events, and martial arts demonstrations can be seen during other times of the year in this part of downtown L.A...(okay the Grand Parade held on the first Sunday of Nisei Week and the ondo street dancing on the last day of Nisei Week are big events worth checking out, but I'm now a college student again and gotta get ready for back-to-school!)

But before I checked out the Tanabata, I watched an ukulele group perform...



Oddly enough, they didn't play "Aloha Oe", but it was a fun performance (it was already in the 80s when I arrived, hence the lack of an audience)

The actual schedule mentioned that there was going to be a fashion show hosted by AniMaid Cafe and PMX, but that didn't seem to materialize. What did materialize was a performance troupe from Japan showing off some samurai movie moves...



The director was showing some interested kids how to attack and look cool doing it...



I never really noticed in previous years, but this years' Tanabata streamers were really interesting...I really wanna know the story behind this one with the beer cans...it seems like a tribute to one's grandfather...



Now the entry from the Consulate General of Japan in Los Angeles really shows how Hayao Miyazaki is a national treasure...



However, my favorite was the burger streamer being eaten by caterpillars...



Now that the Japanese Village Plaza has been renovated, it was nice to see some new stuff during this years' Nisei Week, like the tanzaku that was tied to all the bamboo and trees around the plaza...



Now some wishes people placed on the small pieces of paper were really tough to read, many of them about wishing that their parents could find work, or ill relatives getting better...However, some were just weird/silly/stupid/offensive (I dunno if Japanese people would find some petty wishes offensive)...



Before I left I did see a little Polynesian dancing and bought something from Anime Jungle...



I did take a few more pics that you can find here.

No comments: