Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Disney D23 Expo 2011 Part 2 - Monsters University in 4 Pictures


One of the two lines I waited literally hours in during the D23 | expo 2011 last month...listening to Disney songs in a loop didn't make the time pass by any faster...at least the line for the D23 Arena (where I saw the Parks & Resorts presentation described in part 1) had video clips promoting everything Disney to pass the time (actually the program guide also had some activities like a maze and an in-book scavenger hunt to find certain words to complete a puzzle...

Anyway, the first panel I went to was the Monsters University character design panel held by the upcoming film's director Dan Scanlon and production designer Ricky Nierva...they were introduced by the voice of Roz, Bob Peterson.



Ricky did most of the talking about knowing the character before designing by telling an anecdote about drawing elephants at the zoo and his mentor commenting that the drawings were not that good.  His mentor asked if he knew their names and whatnot...getting into the elephants' stories led to better drawings...

I'm not much of an artist (I'm more of a performer and a MacGuyver...), so I can't recall much about the discussion about the entire process of making Mike and Sulley look younger...possibly making Mike wear glass (since he only has one eye) or possibly giving Sulley a mullet...To get to the point, here are the final designs...




(Ricky on the left, Dan on the right)




For a short presentation, they did go through a lot of details on each of the lead characters, including eyelids, extremeties, finger and toenails, etc...I didn't expect to take any pics of the this presentation, but I followed the crowd and took the few that you see above...After the presentation, there was a Q&A, but I left shortly after that started...

Really these are the only good pics I'm sharing of this panel, but if you wanna see the album, here...

No comments: