Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Disney D23 Expo 2011 Part 3 - Imagineering Cars Land in 10 Pictures



Before the movie Cars, car clubs were part of the history of  Disneyland...there was already an idea to have a car-themed area in California Adventure...

Well, it's been over a month since I saw the Imagineering Cars Land (for Disney California Adventure) panel on the last day of D23...I guess I wasn't too motivated to discuss it since you can learn more about Cars Land at the Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar, and at sites such as MousePlanet and MiceAge (I'll admit, I haven't checked out those sites in a long time...).




I guess the one statement that bothered me was John Lassiter saying that DCA didn't feel like a Disney park because of the lack of Disney characters...what about Epcot?  what about Tokyo DisneySea with Journey to the Center of the Earth?  what about Disney Hollywood Studios with The Great Movie Ride?  some of the most popular attractions didn't start in a Disney movie like The Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain...

But anyway, I liked how comprehensive the panel was, from character back-story development, like how Luigi received a blessing from the Pope-mobile when he opened his shop in Radiator Springs...


Or how Flo used to be part of a singing group...


Or that the founder of Radiator Springs, Stanley, used to sell radiator caps...


Because of my lack of motivation to write much about this, I don't feel like writing much about the E-ticket attraction, Radiator Springs Racers...


In terms of being comprehensive, they did talk at length about the landscaping, which is probably as difficult a challenge as designing a ride as you also have to factor in maintenance costs...

At the end of the panel, I learned the privilege of being upper management with John Lasseter offering a trip to the grand opening of Cars Land next year if you can find a picture of him when he was a young man working as a skipper on The Jungle Cruise at Disneyland...


(again, another popular attraction that doesn't have Disney characters...)  See www.johnofthejungle.com for details...

Just to complete this Cars Land discussion, I did pass by the Imagineering project office while running in the Star Tours 5K a few weeks later...


The album for Imagineering Cars Land can be found here.  Well, finally done with my D23 report...

No comments: