Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Las Vegas Great Santa Run 2011 Part 3: Eating Off The Strip...


Growing up in Las Vegas, pretty much my entire life revolved around Maryland Parkway...Even years after I've moved, I still stop by, like having breakfast (milkfish belly) for dinner at a Jollibee there (yeah, this Filipino fast food chain's been in America for a while now...)...

Since it was gonna be a short weekend, there was time for only one new place for me to visit after the Santa Run, Anime Ramen on Spring Mountain Road next to Chinatown Plaza...

I

It's only been open for a couple months, but I saw friends post about it on Facebook, so I had to check it out.  On the inside, it has more of an otaku cafe feel (what I remember from my Cafe Mai:lish visit in Akihabara years ago is that the artwork was completely original...) but definitely appeals to a wide range of people since the artwork is of series that can easily be seen on American cable tv such as Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Naruto...


 For lunch, I ordered tonkatsu ramen and chicken karaage...


And just like a maid cafe after 5pm (okay, when I went to Cafe Mai:lish in Akihabara years ago, they did this), the employees had their own unique outfits instead of a standard maid uniform found before 5pm at Cafe Mai:lish...

(if only the battery in my camera didn't die...had to take these pics with my phone...)

I noticed the people who came after us also ordered the karaage...I guess fried chicken beats gyoza anytime...

Lunch was really good.  The karaage was nice and light compared to others I have eaten before.  The ramen was also the right size and was not salty...I hope they offer a cold ramen during the summer...

What was interesting to see as more customers showed up is that the place seems to appeal to different types of people, such as the senior citizen who showed up, the tween kids who took their parents, the what I guess is the slightly over-30 couple who were there when we arrived, and who looked like two college students.

I also like the restaurant's business cards...

If I ever make it to Anime Vegas with some Anime Expo friends, I will want to take them to this place followed by karaoke at the place next door...

Now for dessert, I went to a place I fondly remember growing up, Ronald's Donuts across the street...I've posted about this place before, but I really have nothing but good memories of this place, especially the booths that haven't been replaced in more than 20 years...

...nothing says Vegas than having Anderson Dairy as your only milk choice...As Spring Mountain has transformed to become Chinatown, it is nice to see some things haven't changed...
Now on the day of departure, I only had one meal at a place I'm very familiar with, the French Market Buffet at The Orleans for brunch...

While my flight was in the evening, I had to be at the airport early so my ride could beat the Rock 'n Roll Marathon/National Finals Rodeo related traffic...I spent my time at the airport watching Ika Musume on my phone...I wished the recharge outlet was closer to my gate, though...

Well, that was my quick Las Vegas Santa Run weekend, I hope everyone has a good Christmas...Now time to really get ready for final exams!






No comments: