Saturday, February 18, 2012

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Cast Meet & Greet-Anime Jungle



Two weeks ago, it was announced that there was going to be a meet and greet this evening with the cast of Puella Magi Madoka Magica at Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo in L.A.  I was only planning to attend if the volume 1 blu-ray I ordered arrived in time...well the pic of my dinner (the dynamite roll) at Frying Fish in the Japanese Village Plaza where Anime Jungle is located is a sign that I actually got the blu-ray in time and had a reason to make the two hour drive up to L.A. (fun to have deal with Friday traffic on the three day weekend)...

If I knew the line would grow quickly, I should've skipped getting a mochilato ice cream at Mikawaya...


When the doors opened, we were brought in to hear the cast Q&A.  The panel consisted of Christine Marie Cabanos (Madoka), Carrie Keranen (Mami), Cassandra Lee (Kyubey), Sarah Williams (Sayaka), and Lauren Landa (Kyoko).  Cristina Vee (Homura) was not present as she was helping raise money for We Heart Japan at Animation on Display up in northern CA.  About halfway through the Q&A, we were introduced to the ADR director Alex Von David.  Unfortunately, this was my view of the Q&A:


Since I couldn't hear the panel from the back, I spent the time chatting with the people next to me, most notably a guy cosplaying as Kyubey.  The only two questions and answers I could hear were what would be the dream anime crossover with Madoka (K-On!, of course since you have Azusa, Mio, Ritsu, and Tsumugi in both series...I was thinking Christine Marie Cabanos would've answered Ika Musume/Squid Girl since she's the lead in both series).  The only other question was I assumed directed at Carrie about her thoughts about episode 3 since it was asked at the same time as that episode was playing on the monitor at the front of the room, leading fans to mention that there's a spoiler alert.  I believe her answer was that she was shocked, but I couldn't recall since I can only remember that people were talking about the spoiler alert.

The Q&A lasted for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Afterwards, they cleared the room so they could set up for the autograph signing for those who had official Madoka merchandise...


I guess since it was a Friday evening before Presidents' Day weekend, I shouldn't have expected a lot of cosplayers, but I was happily surprised to see a few:


I'm intrigued by the different interpretations of Kyubey...


Gotta get the front, too...



And of course the contract has a ton of clauses...


I don't get to venture out to downtown L.A. at night much these days, so I find it a treat to be able to take pictures, especially after the remodel of Japanese Village Plaza...


...and L.A. City Hall...


So I guess it is easy to tell a story of three hours in ten pictures.  Now time to get to sleep...

No comments: