Saturday, March 24, 2012

The 3D Camera v2.0: Still Needs Work...



For 3D camera v2.0, I wanted it to completely run on AA batteries...unfortunately, it needed 8AA batteries for this entire setup to work.  I also needed to glue together two wooden boxes I picked up at Michaels for $1 each in order to fit the 4AA battery pack from Radio Shack.


Well, as you can see, I need to redo some wiring (i.e. my soldering work really sucked), but the general layout is there...here's a little tour before I finish this thing...


Here's what it looks like in the back with retractable USB cables that I got for $2 each at Micro Center (which is also a great place to get cheap SD cards and USB thumb drives).  I like the look of electronic switches, buttons, and ports on a wooden box...Since there was a little bit of plywood sticking out, I decided to drill a hole so I can carry it around my neck with a regular lanyard (Flavor Flav has a clock, I have a homemade 3D camera rig)...I added the toggle switch so I can shut off the power, preventing power from getting into the cameras when the big red button is accidentally pressed.


Here's what the big red button wiring looks like...



The thumbscrew is how the right camera is attached to the box.  I used 3M Command picture hanging strips I cut up and super glued to the box as a means to make a removable cover...I know I had velcro tape, but I chose the picture hanging strips since they were all plastic.  I also didn't want to use the hinged lids that were originally part of the wooden boxes since, with the lid, they were pretty bulky to hold.

Now here's the wiring for the toggle switch and the USB ports that I super glued to the box...I don't need a metal-wood fusing tool like Phineas and Ferb do...





Of course, like almost everything, this rig is American made using foreign components...If you wanna see some more pics of this rig, here's the link.

I could've have finished redoing the wiring by now, but I was motivated to revisit 3D rig v1.0...here's a first look at 3D rig v1.1...


No comments: