Wednesday, March 14, 2012

3D Camera v2.0 Saga: Part 2-Construction Progress



All that's left is to solder the wiring and reattach the door, but 3D camera v2.0 is almost ready for field testing...This has definitely been a productive spring break from classes...


A large improvement besides using cameras that are higher resolution, handle SDHC cards, and run on AA batteries is the addition of a toggle switch to prevent accidental pressing of the big red shutter button...


A tradeoff though, is that I'll need hex keys to disassemble the rig into something more compact...Since I don't have metal cutting tools, wood is still the way to go...I do, however, like the idea of seeing USB ports sticking out of a wooden box...I was thinking of painting it, but maybe it looks cooler unfinished.  I guess I've been a fan of that "found items" look since a friend and I made a catapult for physics class using scrap pieces of wood and PVC pipe and hundreds of rubber bands while other teams used rubber tourniquets and plastic parts.  While my classmates found the look interesting, we were only able to launch beanbags only a couple feet while everyone else was able to launch them across the gym...

Since I only have really only one shot at soldering everything right, I'll probably spend a fair bit of time refreshing my memory how to solder before I finish this project and move on to my Ika Musume cosplay v2.0.

No comments: