Sunday, April 15, 2012

3D Camera v2.0 rev. A and v1.1: A Tour




3D v2.0 rev. A (rev. NC was never fully completed) on the left and v1.1 (v1.0 can be found here.) on the right...

After much trial-and-error doing the soldering by myself, I have finally completed making two 3D rigs by myself...Once I finish reading The Canon Camera Hackers Manual by Daum that I found while looking for something else on Amazon, I might try to incorporate more tricks (turns out you can play games on your camera, for example).



Since the lighting in my living room isn't that great, I took the rest of the pics of the insides of the cameras at the park where I tested v1.0  (v2.0 test pics from the park will come in a separate post...my only regret when taking test pics is that I didn't take pictures of a guy practicing his bagpipes there).

So first up is to look at the first rig I finished, v1.1.  I pretty much took out the cameras, switch, and USB ports from v1.0 and found a small wooden box I got for $1 from Michaels (they came in a lot of varieties, so I just picked one that looked interesting).  I also got some wood pieces from Home Depot, a wooden dowel and a wood strip to make a something to hold the cameras in...





(I should've taken v2.0 camera out of the background...)

For v1.1, I set it up that you bolt the cameras to the pseudo z-rig made from the wood pieces before you attach them to the switch box by securing it with a nut into a screw that I press fit into the bottom wood piece that the right camera is secured to with another screw.


Notice that I added a toggle switch to the circuit to avoid discharge when the big red button is accidentally pressed.  In addition, I suspected that I didn't need 4.5V (3 AAA) batteries as suggested from the original instructions to trigger such small cameras.  It seemed like using too much voltage is causing the cameras' batteries to drain faster.  So after trial-and-error, it looked like that I only needed one AA battery for this pair of cameras.  Since I also wanted to use this switchbox to test other pairs of cameras in the future, I connected the battery using battery snap connectors I picked up at Radio Shack so I can test different batteries (some battery holders have the 9V connectors, so it seems like a good idea).


And to reduce the slack of the USB cables, I found some retractable charging cables for about $2 each at Micro Center (for what in effect is their store brand...It's worth spending 15 minutes in the checkout line for these).

Since v1.1 takes up less space than v1.0, and I don't see any advantage of carrying the cameras' battery chargers everywhere, I now place everything in a compression case I found on clearance at Target for $3 (originally $14 if I remember right).


Now a look at v2.0 (rev. A)...

 



I had to find the larger box at JoAnn for about $4.  Notice I do not have a toggle switch like I do in v1.1...It's because I found a 4 AA battery holder that comes with its own switch...


Earlier tests showed that at least 3 AAA batteries (4.5 V) would work, but I only found holders with switches for 2 AA and 4 AA.  I was worried that the extra voltage would cause a quick battery drain on the cameras (that use 2 AA batteries each), but field testing seems to show that the extra battery for the switch wouldn't be a problem...

Because I got tired of making a trip to Home Depot each time I needed a different sized screw, I used what I had available, which results in a setup that has a thumbscrew that connects the right camera to the box itself, unlike v1.1 where the camera is connected to a piece of wood that is connected to the box...

By the time I got around to working on v2.0, I was thinking about the best way to solder wire to a USB socket without a circuit board.  The solution I came up with was to twist some stripped wire such that there's a loop at the end and thread the pin of the USB socket through the loop before soldering...


Now time to read the book to see what other things I can do with the Canon Hack Development Kit...like how to play games on cameras...

No comments: