Sunday, July 22, 2012

Anime Expo 2012: Day 2 in 10 Pictures or Less


Really gotta get crackin' finishing my AX 2012 story before my next event...well my cosplay for day 2 that I made using heat 'n bond and wire was a rebuild of last year's Ika Musume genderbend cosplay using a darker shade of blue and a top that better captures the idea of a genderbend...for some reason I was thinking that it wasn't a genderbend but an imagining of what Squid Girl's dad might look like who sent his idiot daughter out on a fool's errand to invade the surface world...Unlike the previous day's Nabeshin, I got a couple more people asking for my picture, most of it happening when I met up with my meetup group in South Hall (lesson learned, start every day at AX in South Hall if you wanna get people to take your picture...)...
As the weeks have passed, my memory of events are slowly fading, but I do remember a few things...

Such as picking up lunch from the Lomo Arigato food truck, which I was happy to hear was negotiating their way back to the OC...To complement my meal, one of my meetup buddies and I went to the new Lounge 21, where the drinks were overpriced and watered down, but I like the idea of a true adult space where I can enjoy a Naughty Schoolgirl (vodka and Tentacle Grape soda)...


In terms of an actual plan for this day, the only must sees for me were the Touhou project gathering and the Hetalia gathering.  I never played any Touhou game nor watched any Hetalia episodes, but I needed to convince myself that not all Touhou cosplayers were guys dressed as female characters, nor all Hetalia cosplayers were girls dressed as male characters.  I'm now convinced that both series have cosplayers of both sexes.


Unfortunately, I only brought 3D rig v2.0 out for day 2, and there were some misfiring issues at the Touhou gathering, so I didn't take any 3D photos for much of day 2.  The Hetalia gathering was across the street, so it was very quick to move.


I stayed for the Hetalia gathering, left to do something else, and came back after an hour to get to the shuttle to find this gathering still going on.

Of course, crossplay is not confined to just these two series.  I dunno about others, but I'm thinking from a straight guy's point of view, it's just a fun way to show how much he likes a series (though I also like the theory that if you dress as a schoolgirl, real girls dressed as schoolgirls want to get pictures with you...it's worked for me)...



I couldn't have an AX2012 story without talking about the X-Games that happened during the same weekend.  While a few have mentioned bad experiences with X-Games fans, I think the sidewalk evangelists on the sidewalk were a little more annoying.  I've seen the same religious signs on a drive to Disneyland when Journey of the Little Mermaid and the revamped Star Tours officially opened, so I'm not too surprised that they would show up when they would be guaranteed a large group of people.  It was interesting to hear AX attendees on the hotel shuttle talk about faith and being an otaku, though...I'll leave the discussion of religion on this cosplay photography blog here.  I prefer to talk about faith and religion verbally as opposed to the written word...

Back to X-Games...well day 2 saw the record setting stunt by History Channel's Top Gear host Tanner Foust and another stunt driver make a world record on the Team Hot Wheels life size loop...


(okay, the above pic is the teardown of the loop on day 4 of Anime Expo...you can look for video of the actual stunt like I did)

The biggest stink among some cosplayers was the loss of spaces people were used to for gatherings for the rallycross event.  (Day 2 of AX was when drivers were doing their practice runs, that everyone along Concourse Hall was watching through the windows.)


However, with the success I've had with my Angel Beats! gathering on day 3, my issue with previous years' gatherings was that you had to have some guarantee of a minimum number of cosplayers in order to get a spot and be listed (I'm beginning to think I might've had more response to a Clannad gathering I proposed in 2009 if it was listed since I did find a bunch of cosplayers from that series that year).  I'm happy that the guys who took the initiative to make this year's list made it based on what active threads appeared on the AX and Cosplay.com forums.

As this being an ESPN event, I joined my con buddies for dinner at the ESPNZone, where they had the Xtreme burger in honor of the X-Games.


The burger contained sweet potato fries, bacon, a fried egg, and avocado among other things...It was a challenge to get a bite...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the Youmus, and I'm a girl. :)