Sunday, July 15, 2012

Anime Expo 2012: Days 0-1 in 10 Pictures or Less



I guess before I continue further with my summer, I should finish off my Anime Expo 2012 story with the recap...Instead of 10 pictures or less in a single post, I'm thinking I should allow myself a maximum of 10 for each day despite the fact that I didn't go to as many panels or anime screenings as previous years.  Much of my time was spent in line or waiting for the shuttle, but it was fun meeting with the people I haven't seen in almost a year...

Since I was saving my vacation time for bigger trips I have planned this year (which I may blog about), I decided to pick up my badge and check-in to my hotel when I got off work on day 0.  I dunno about the experiences of attendees earlier in the day, but I only waited 30 minutes to get my badge.

I was able to make contact with one of the guys I haven't seen since last year's AX and went to dinner at the Farm of Beverly Hills at L.A. Live...


After dinner, I checked into the Kawada Hotel...I picked this hotel because it was the cheapest and on the shuttle route...Let's just say that I liked that this hotel was the first stop on the shuttle route, but the rooms are just tiny...

Now I didn't really have much planned for day 1, but the morning was pretty much eaten up by waiting in line for AMV contest tickets since their printers broke (good thing I had some Popeye's fried chicken before arriving at the convention center...other people in my group were getting antsy going several hours without food).  But at least I was happy to see a girl actually wearing the squid hat...


My cosplay that day was Nabeshin, but the afro was collapsing, so I stuck a Menchi plush on it so it looked like the emergency food was the reason the afro looked smooshed.  It was nice that a few people still wanted to take my picture that day.

If I remember right, afterwards I went to the Gundam cosplay gathering...



After the gathering, I tried looking for the Tiger & Bunny gathering since it was going to be held in the same location as the Angel Beats! gathering I was hosting on day 3...all I found were two confused cosplayers who weren't the hosts...

Based on the quantity of pictures taken, I don't recall heading back to the hotel before the AX Forums Meet and Greet...I do remember discovering one of two cell phone recharging stations at the convention center, where I found someone actually cosplaying as the bikini version of Hatsune Miku.  I overheard her talk about being cold  before I asked for a picture.  She asked about the jacket she was wearing.  I just said go with what you're comfortable with...I want to be a gentleman, after all.


Day 1 of AX 2012 would also mark the first (and thankfully only) day I broke my own rule of taking pictures of kid cosplay...but it was so cute! 

 
I also found a tween cosplaying as Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl, and I wished I stopped her dad and asked if she actually watched the show.  I still want one of my friends to cosplay as Claes since she's pretty much a bookworm and wears glasses...

As I get older, I keep asking myself if I'm too old to do these otaku things.  Sure Danny Choo is older than me, but he does it for a living also.  Then on day 1, I found a cosplay that reminded me that you're never too old to be a fan.



Okay only two more pictures for my day 0-day 1 recap...

Before the AX Forums Meet and Greet, I made use of the cell phone charging station.  On it was a sticker promoting a Yeti game for the iPhone/iPad...I dunno if the sticker actually came with the mascot who kept pointing at the sticker...


All that was left in day 1 was the meet and greet and AMV contest.  At the meet and greet, it was a little disappointing to see more people who weren't on the forums taking part in the games, but it was fun to watch anyway.  In one game, our meetup group leader in his Len cosplay had to convince the audience that he had a better cosplay than the girl in a Luka cosplay...rule 1 of cosplay contests, if you're a guy competing against a girl in a cosplay contest, the girl will win...

After the meet and greet, we made it to the AMV contest, which I think had way to many finalists for the audience to vote on.  38 out of 150 entries making the final cut still seems a bit much.  Even the Oscars are able to reduce the Best Picture nominee list down to 10 out of the hundreds of eligible movies that play in L.A. county in a year!

Because the contest dragged long, the wait for the shuttles took long, and I didn't get back to the hotel until almost 2 am...only to wake up and make it to the meetup at 9 am on day 2...

No comments: