Saturday, August 25, 2012

Anime Expo 2012: Days 3-4 in 10 Pictures or Less


 Okay, it's about time I finish this....

Well the daytime of day 3 was probably my biggest day ever for any AX I've attended as it was the first time I hosted a cosplay gathering (see posts for the Angel Beats! gathering in 3D or 2D).  I guess it was smart of me to host it right before the LiSA concert, which was very entertaining and energetic despite the fact that I only knew the Angel Beats! songs.  Considering the hype surrounding her appearance and the announcement of many Fate/Zero people as guests of honor for this year's Anime Expo, I was expecting more more Fate/Zero cosplayers, not more Angel Beats! cosplayers.  I guess school uniforms are more popular than I think...

Considering the long commute shuttling back and forth from the hotel, day 3 was a pretty short day (also the Yuri crossplay was getting a bit too hot to wear, and I didn't think of bringing a change of clothes to the convention center to change into after the LiSA concert...next year, I gotta splurge for a hotel within walking distance).

However, I was able to do a few things on day 3 such as catch a little bit of the Durarara! gathering:


It's nice to see an Anri cosplay...this reminds me to get the lunchbox set of the series...

And join in a friend's quest to get a poster tube from the exhibit hall, where we got free stuff from the Toyota x Studio 4C booth that was promoting their collaboration, PES (Peace, Eco, Smile).


And the NIS America booth didn't disappoint with the free stuff you get with a purchase, getting anohana on the recommendation of my friends and a bunch of free stuff.  I had to sleep on it whether to buy the entire Kimi ni Todoke series (which I would eventually get on day 4).

Eventually, I got back to the hotel to change and cool off.  I stopped at my favorite little corner of Little Tokyo for dinner, Frying Fish, for conveyor belt sushi where I tried one of their specials, sea urchin with quail egg...


After dinner, I went back to the convention center to witness final night jackassery like the guys fishing for numbers with inflatable dolphins attached to the ends of fishing poles.  It's also a great time to get cosplay pictures at a time when it's not crowded since everyone's at the Masquerade.  That, and I was stuck at the charging station recharging my cell phone...


Can someone tell me where in the Pokemon universe I can see this character?

Because of the shuttling to and from the hotel, I didn't spend much time in panels or in the video rooms, but by luck I was able to watch a few episodes of something I haven't seen before on the final night...Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt looked kinda weird when I saw it on Crunchyroll subbed, but it was much funnier when Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial are talking...


With day 4 being on a Monday, it was time to get out of L.A. to avoid traffic, but not without finally getting my traditional breakfast at The Original Pantry, where the walking path was rerouted during the X-Games...


After breakfast, met up with my meetup group one last time where by luck a street team gave me some Aria (the animation/the natural/the origination) papercrafts when I was overheard talking about RightStuf I think.  It was also lucky to find some Nichijou cosplay (too bad one of my friends who was a big fan of the series was somewhere else so he didn't witness this.).

 
Okay, room for only three more pictures...well, I ended up wandering into a My Little Pony gathering on day 4...

 
While it was neat, I think the Canadians did it better cosplay gathering hosting wise since it wasn't blocking the shortcut between South and West Halls.  What was great about this gathering is that I was reminded that you're never too old to cosplay (and it's fun to know that people think I'm younger than I really am even when I'm not cosplaying)....


My final activity was the Highschool of the Dead (H.O.T.D) gathering because you can never go wrong with school uniforms, though some of the cosplayers were sidetracked as the hosts were waiting for more people to show up, so in the end, it ended up being a photoshoot for Takagi and Hirano.





Okay, I went over, but I guess it makes up for slacking off for over a month to finish my con story...now to slack off another month to blog about London 2012 Olympics...




No comments: