Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Catchup: Anime Vegas

Well the world didn’t end, so I have time to catch up chronicling the last two major highlights of my year, starting with Anime Vegas from last month…



I came to Vegas for the week of Veterans Day for wedding, but by luck, I had some free time to visit Anime Vegas for days 2 and 3 at Cashman Center…
When I mentioned to other congoers that I just happened to be in town for a wedding, they thought I was here for the wedding for two otaku that was held on the day 1.  Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer a church wedding followed by memorable/fun ways to renew vows in the following years, such as the geek wedding like at Anime Vegas or a Disney wedding at Disneyland at the castle (Walt Disney World, on the other hand, has the Wedding Pavilion).

I didn’t have much of a plan but to take 2D and 3D pics of cosplayers, though I did find the Hello Kitty panel by superfan Tiffany Grant (Pochacco in Hello Kitty’s Animation Theater, Asuka in Evangelion) very entertaining and managed to see an episode of the live action version of Ouran High School Host Club…if only I was able to draw Sword Art Online Asuna cosplayer outside for a pic.  I also ran into someone who came all the way from Canada to this event…apparently, he did not hear about my anaglyph photography work at Anime North despite both of us attending that weekend.

While the venue could use more utilization of space, the extra walking room does allow for fun things such as a conga line…


Or being a living statue/flashmob of one/human mannequin?


Or messing with the staffer checking badges at the exhibit hall…


I think this other pic is more interesting, though…


The concession stand is where I had lunch on day 3.

  
FYI, Cashman Center is at Cashman Field, home of minor league baseball team the Las Vegas 51s (as in Area 51).  I must be getting old if I remember them as the Stars.

Considering there aren’t many places to buy anime and related merchandise in Las Vegas, I wasn’t sure I would expect much of a cosplay scene (and I couldn’t find an actual printed cosplay gathering list), but I was surprised.


If anyone knows French and can translate the skirt, please leave a comment...

I did manage to find a few gatherings.  It was the first time I’ve seen a Yu-Gi-Oh gaterhing.


But of course, no anime event is complete without at least a few Sailor Moon cosplayers...


Seemed like a couple girls wanted to see their boyfriends crossplay at Anime Vegas…

I didn’t attend the first AniMegaCon that was held earlier at the LVH (formerly Las Vegas Hilton), but I knew about Anime Vegas before and missed out on opportunities to attend.  I do like that Anime Vegas was held in a location that those under 21 can wander around and has the space that allows for cosplay gatherings.  I also like the easy parking even though you have to pay for it unlike any convention space on the Strip.

I did take more pictures.  You can find them here.

No comments: