Saturday, May 4, 2013

Anime Conji 2013 in 10 Pics or Less

I guess I should call my first time at Anime Conji 2013 (April 12-14, 2013, San Diego Town & Country Resort) as my first vacation con as I barely took any pictures and felt that I spent more time enjoying the amenities of the hotel (if almost drowning in the pool could be considered enjoying the amenities).  It was a reminder that the most important part of attending is having fun, whether it's by taking pictures of cosplayers, discovering some anime series (Hare + Guu, Read or Die, and Moon Phase were watched in the video rooms) or just hanging out with people you don't have time to hang out with...

That being said, I did manage to take a few good pictures...
I did crossplay with my friend in a bad attempt of being an IdolM@ster pair of Takane and Hibiki (as inspired by cosplayer nonomy who I discovered on Tokyo Otaku Mode after doing a search of IdolM@ster cosplay).  However, it was mistaken for Tomoyo from Clannad, and my friend, who isn't much into cosplay, wasn't too keen on styling the wig to be like Hibiki.  No pics of the two of us in the cosplay pair exist...


I think this pic illustrates the mood that was set for the weekend, seeing more families than usual at a con (but it is also probably due to the fact that this was Spring Break season).  I also saw families at the Maid Cafe event hosted by Mochi Cafe where my friend defeated the top maid in rock-paper-scissors and won a maid charm and strongly expressed her hatred towards Peeps when dessert was served.

I didn't find many cosplay gatherings, but I did manage to plan to see one and find two by chance...I was expecting to see a lot of Sword Art Online cosplay...

 
but instead, it seemed like the big series was Magi, the Labyrinth of Magic...


I was also hoping for a large turnout for Pokemon after seeing a lot of Team Rocket on the last day, but they were no where to be found at the gathering on day 3...


It was also nice to see that Access Control works together in their cosplay while being serious about their duty...





Speaking of (Hero's) duty...


Speaking of going 1980s on someone...



Besides watching anime and attending the maid cafe event, I did manage to attend one panel, which actually became a kendo class (I should've worn more comfortable shoes for this...)...


After talking to some photographers who were able to attend on Friday, it seemed like there were very few good photo opportunities at all during the weekend.  And despite the lack of being able to find anything in the schedule because of lack of good signage, I still had fun.  

In all, there were only 14 2D photos taken that weekend.  But with the goal of keeping this post 10 pics or less, I only have room for two more pics.  So here are two more pics I really was happy to take, mainly because I've never seen the character cosplayed before, or because it makes for a weird image...








I took the My Little Pony x Resident Evil pic while I was still in my crossplay...it was suggested at one point that I wear Dr. Hooves head, but that idea was squashed quickly...

Anyway, to see the few that didn't make the cut (only because I've posted similar pics in the past from other events and/or they are NSFW), you can find them here...








No comments: